The St. Edward Chapel

The_St_Edward_Chapel.jpg

The St Edward Chapel is small and crammed with wall monuments to a local family, the Probyns, and is often referred to as the 'Probyn Chapel'. The most magnificent of the monuments, displacing the original altar, is that of Sir Edmund Probyn who became Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer in 1741; his portrait-bust is most imposing. The magnificent window in this chapel is by Kempe and was dedicated in 1898 to Georgi-ana Dighton and her children by her husband. It depicts, in the centre, the Virgin Mary and the infant Jesus, with St Anne and her daughter, the young Virgin Mary, on one side and St Elizabeth and her young son, John the Baptist.
Close by the St Edward Chapel and the Joce tomb is an unusual stained glass window in memory of Charles John Brickdale, a naval officer from a Newland family, who was born in 1819 and was killed on board H.M.S. Comus in action off Point Obligado, in the River Parana in South America, on 20 November 1845. He was buried on the shores of the Parana. It depicts, in roundels, the name of 'Comus' and 'Parana' and an illustration of the battle.

Next to this window is the Headmasters Board of Bell's Grammar School which was founded in this village and is linked with the adjacent chapel of St John and St Nicholas.
Beneath the Brickdale window and the Headmasters Board is a raised stone slab bearing an incised figure of a bowman. Re-cut in the nineteenth century this may represent a seventeenth-century member of the Wyrall family wearing the symbols of office of 'Bow-Bearer' to the Crown.
In the west end of this south aisle, near the font, is the important effigy of another member of the Wyrall family, John Wyrall, dated 1457. John Wyrall held an important position in the government of the Forest of Dean — being a 'Forester at Fee'. This effigy was brought in from the churchyard in the 1950s to prevent further damage and erosion. It is interesting to note the clothes and hair style which provide valuable information about the dress of the period.
Amongst the items of interest in this part of the south aisle is the large stained glass window depicting the four Evangelists. This is a good example of late Victorian craftsmanship. Below this west window is the War Memorial for the 1914-18 conflict. To the right of the War Memorial is a large brass plate to the memory of John Fortescue Fortescue-Brickdale, and his wife, of Birchamp House, Newland, who died in 1867.
Between the pillars leading into the nave, is an early piece of sculpture depicting a priest in his robes, alb, stole and chasuble. The date of this work is uncertain, but it is probably before 1300.