THE CATHEDRAL OF THE FOREST

ALL SAINTS CHURCH, NEWLAND, GLOUCESTERSHIRE

                                 all_saints_newland_-_exterior_from_south_east_gallery.jpg

The Church of All Saints at Newland, traditionally and affectionately known as the 'Cathedral of the Forest', was begun in the early 1200s. King John appointed Robert of Wakering as first Rector in 1216. The original, probably rather small, building was expanded during the next two hundred years to the size and shape of the present church. A major restoration in the 1860s widened the chancel arch and slightly raised the roof of the nave. The village of Newland did not exist before the clearing was made in the Forest and the church built.