Gallery

 

Font - Dated 1661. Octagonal, with rather naive local carving, but full of character. Shields in cartouches and, on the shaft, plain leaves and elementary geometrical motifs. Matching cover.

In the south-west corner of the Lady Chapel is the remains of a spiral staircase which is one of the oldest sections of the church. Originally it was extended upward to connect with a large rood screen. Whether this screen was across the present chapel arch or led to a screen at the present entrance to the Lady Chapel is not certain.

The tomb of Sir John and Lady Joce. Most prominent is the tomb-chest in the south aisle, with effigies said to be those of Sir John Joce (of Clearwell) died 1349 and his wife died 1362. He wears bascinet and armour similar to that of the Black Knight (buried 1376) at Canterbury Cathedral; his head rests on a helm carrying an immense Saracen's head, the Joce family crest, with flowing hair and beard. The lady has a square head-dress like that of Queen Philippa (buried 1369) at Westminster Abbey. The feet of both rest on lions.

 

This unusual stained glass window was is in memory of Charles John Brickdale, a naval officer from a Newland family, who was born in 1819 and was killed on board H.M.S. Comus in action off Point Obligado, in the River Parana in South America, on 20 November 1845. He was buried on the shores of the Parana. It depicts, in roundels, the name of 'Comus' and 'Parana' and an illustration of the battle.

Next to the Brickdale window is the Headmasters Board of Bell's Grammar School which was founded in Newland in1445

 

In1997 a major stained glass window, by Henry Haig, was donated by Joan, widow of Henry Ludlam. Henry Ludlam, a farmer, bought Bell's Grammar School and grounds when it closed and incorporated it into his own land, creating the Bells Golf Course and Hotel. Sadly Joan died on the very day that the window was to be dedicated and it was not until 2000 that their children finally dedicated the window to both their parents

Hidden away in the vestry.In the vestry are wall monuments erected during the 1863 restoration. The original siting of the monuments is unknown but it is likely to have been on the wall of the north aisle which was extensively restored as part of the restoration. These memorials commemorate local people including those mentioned on the Charities Board.

Part of the carving on the choir stalls

 

The beautiful chandelier in the Nave

 

The Saracens Head on the Joce tomb

 

 

One of the carvings outside the church

 

The 'Miners Brass' is unusual in being in relief. It depicts a miner in working garb with his tools and his lighted candle which was probably held in place by sticking it into a lump of clay attached to his chin or cheek, or possibly gripped in his mouth. Its origins are unknown; reputedly it was returned to the church in the early nineteenth century.

View from the top of the tower 
  1st Flower festival July 2014